Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Working Lamp

I bought this lamp and shade at DI quite a while ago. I loved it so much that even though it flickered dangerously I just kept it unplugged on my end table. Well, thanks to The How-To Gal's post about rewiring an old lamp, I stopped procrastinating and finally fixed it (with lots of help from my husband).

I also cleaned the lampshade, which was DISGUSTING! While cleaning it I realized it had formerly been in a smoking cat lady's house (ok, maybe not but it smelled sick and was covered in cat fur). I filled my kitchen sink up with warm water and a little bit of laundry soap, dipped the shade in and used a toothbrush to scrub in between the folds and remove cat fur. I had to rinse it a few times to get the grime and soap off, but it turned out great.

One question for everybody...do you think the lampshade goes with the base? I was told that the shade was too small but I want to know what you think?

1 comment:

Rachael said...

I think it looks great as is. I would think of them as a set. Very stylish. You did a great job. I am going to have to look at the "how to gal"'s site!